Hand Made Gift Idea with Artisan Paints & Products
Show your love with beautiful handmade gifts with Artisan Paints and Products, create a precious gift with sentimental value, make it unique to the person you are gifting. Here's a quick and easy gift making idea for that special someone.
Take a look at the 5 min video and then we've listed some notes below for you to take note of afterwards to get you creating and making confidently with Artisan Paints and Products
2. With items where there are more curves, use water over the top of your napkin with your Staalmeester detail brush to flatten the napkin first before lacquering (as shown when we did the little bowl) applying napkins to curves like a bowl will create more creases and this step will allow you to flatten this all out as much as possible
3. The napkin we used in this video is 3 ply the less ply the more gentle you will have to be, therefore it is really important to use high quality brushes that are soft and gentle to make the whole thing a breeze, we've used our Staalmeester flat brush - 1 Inch and a must have of the Staalmeester detail brush, which has super soft bristles for flattening out fine lines.
4. In this video we have hair dried in between coats. It is always best to leave it dry naturally if you can. However if you want to hair dry, make sure you place it on warm when drying Premium Chalk Paint and move the hairdryer around constantly. When drying lacquer place the hair dryer on cool and move around constantly, avoid localising the hairdryer in one spot or you will create cracks.
5. When you are applying lacquer on over the Premium Chalk Paint ready to apply your napkin there is no need to rush, you have plenty of time, it's often best to leave for a couple of minutes to allow the lacquer to start "tacking up" before applying your napkin.
6. If the background of your napkin is a light colour, use a light Premium Chalk Paint colour as your base, if the background is dark, then use a dark Premium Chalk Paint colour as your base.
7. Always apply thin coats of Artisan Lacquer over the top, build it up rather than doing heavy thick coats. Depending on your napkin and the ply you may do anywhere from 3-4 coats.
8. Why Artisan Lacquer instead of traditional glues? Top coating with Artisan Lacquer creates a strong hardened surface in the sheen level that you want; it can take water splashes, be wiped and cleaned. Glue coatings although ok for decorative items will not withstand water pooling on the surface as often it will reactivate the glue, damage the surface and make the surface sticky again.
9. When painting the underside, if you can, use Velvet Luxe so you don't have to wax or lacquer, if using Premium Chalk Paint on the underside you will need to wax or lacquer to seal.
10: Metallic Edges: When using Artisan metallic glides over gloss lacquer, apply two coats/ glides for good density over that gloss surface or run your Artisan Paint up onto the edge then run your metallic glide over that edge for a seamless luxe finish
The technique shown in the video can be used on anything from decor to furniture. Try using this technique on fronts of drawers or even on chair frames as a feature.
Ideas for decor items you can use this on: Lamp bases, Vases, trays, coasters, boxes, even frames and mirrors to create something completely unique and bespoke